Tuesday, October 1, 2013

AN-YA CONTRIBUTORS UP FRONT: Lynn Grubb



 

AN-YA PROJECT: CONTRIBUTORS UP-FRONT

 Featuring

 LYNN GRUBB
---------------------

 

 
Where were you born? Where do you live now?

 

I was born in Evanston, Illinois and currently live in Kettering, Ohio.

 
How and why did you become involved with the AN-YA Project?

 

Amanda Woolston asked her fellow Lost Daughters to contribute.  I feel honored to be part of this project.

 
Tell us about a personal accomplishment that brought you deep satisfaction.

 

Watching my son graduate from high school last year and knowing that I can exhale a little bit knowing he is an amazing man and son.

 
Imagine you are sitting on your childhood bed. Look around your bedroom. What do you see?

 

I see walls of knotty pine and a slanted ceiling with flower wallpaper, and my feet placed on the ceiling.  I see a poster of an attractive man on my wall (I later married a man who looked eerily like him). There is an antique couch with lumps in the cushions and closets my father built.  I have swinging doors that do not allow enough privacy from my brother’s bedroom next door!

 
Favorite book(s) when you were a child?

 

Nancy Drew.  I was obsessed with those books.  I loved Little House on the Prairie as well.

 
Do you have any pets or a special memory of a childhood pet?

 

I have always had cats.  In childhood, Sneaker and Snooper (two cats).  Still have two cats today. My lone dog passed away a year ago this month and we miss him dearly.

 
Do you have any hobbies outside of your career?

 

I recently taught myself how to play the piano using Scott the Piano Guy (seen on PBS).  I also play the violin, enjoy going to outdoor concerts, swimming at the pool and the ocean.  My favorite hobby, besides writing, is reading non-fiction books

 
What things do you not like to do?

 

Anything related to paperwork, I detest.  I like cooking for its creativity but am not a fan of being forced to cook three times a day, as many moms can attest.

 
 Was there a teacher, for better or worse, who influenced your life’s path?

 

For better – Mrs. Drake, my English teacher, who nagged and preached about the importance of proper sentences, which helps me currently in my writing.  For worse – my math teacher, Mr. H, who couldn’t control his class nor teach a lick and contributed to my needing a math tutor in middle school.

 
Tell us about your dream meal...all of the courses and who you would like at the table with you.

 

My husband, my 19 year old son, my 8 year old daughter and myself, dining on any beach, together.  We would order the food (I would not be cooking) and it would probably contain sushi, pizza and chocolate.

 
What are you currently reading?

 

“What You’re Really Meant To Do” by Robert Kaplan.

 
 Favorite Film with an ‘adoption narrative’?

 

Baby Boom with Diane Keaton.  Keaton’s character inherits a baby from a distant cousin and she goes from career woman to committed parent.  Love that movie!

 
What projects are you working on now?

 

Trying to get my house organized.  I write at my blog and Lost Daughters when I am inspired.

 
Anything else you would like to share with readers?

 

I am honored to be part of this project and to share an adoptee narrative with Diane’s readers! Thank you!

 

(This interview is part of our on-going interview series AN-YA PROJECT: CONTRIBUTORS UP-FRONT. Lynn Grubb will also be writing for the AN-YA Project's next literary project The Perpetual Child: An Adult Adoptee Anthology.)

 

No comments: